Monday, April 4, 2016

Day 1 of Ketogenic Way of Eating

Day 1! I'm very excited that my sister is doing this with me! I hope we both find success! Weighed in at 204 this morning - can't wait to finally get back to ONEderland soon! I'm planning to follow it perfectly for the next 3 weeks...then I'm heading to a conference in Washington, DC for 3 days. Although I will try to continue eating low carb/high fat, it will be tougher while eating all of my meals out (not to mention the temptation to have a couple drinks with my friend who's going with me). But that's ok - back on the wagon when I get back! My first test will be this weekend - we're spending the day in NYC for my niece's baptism, and having lunch at some restaurant afterward. I will have to figure out some snacks to bring. 

I don't feel very well prepared though. I was in NYC Friday and Saturday for a Girls' Weekend with my family from update NY. We had a blast, but I was beat after getting home after midnight Sunday morning, so I never got to the store to stock up on good stuff like avocados and lower carb veggies (after seeing them off after breakfast, I took a 2 hour nap, and then slept like a rock for 8.5 hours overnight!). But at least we have plenty of SunButter and coconut milk! And we still have some sirloin tips and chicken grilled up from last week. That will get me through for a little while, anyway. Yesterday, I finished off some leftover gf/df pancakes so I could top them with my aunt's homemade maple syrup that she brought for us - yum! 

It is a strange shift to be loading up on fats instead of carbs. For so long, I've tried to keep my fats under 70g/day, and now I'm striving for twice that! Although they say that I probably won't be as hungry once I hit ketosis, and especially once I'm fat-adapted, so maybe I'll eat less then. But my body does keep telling me it's hungry today - must be looking for carbs! For breakfast, I had some bacon and scrambled eggs cooked in some of the bacon grease (yum!), topped with Red Hot sauce, of course. For lunch, I made a delicious steak curry with broccoli - I do enjoy having the full fat coconut milk again! For a snack, I had a couple TBs of SunButter and a little more coconut milk. I was feeling pretty guilty about the lack of fiber I had today, so I made my favorite salad for dinner, including a little of my very favorite homemade salad dressing, which does have honey in it. Totally nailed my macro ratio today! 

It SNOWED ALL DAY (hello, it's APRIL!!!), so I didn't feel like driving over to CrossFit class. I'm looking forward to getting my CrossFit enthusiasm back after I drop a few pounds - I think the extra weight is messing with my head, and making me less excited about striving for my goals of a pull-up and improving on gymnastics moves. I actually skipped the last WOD of the Opens - it was a repeat of 14.5, which was a descending pairing of thrusters and burpees over the bar which I never intended to to again after struggling through it the first time - still, I never would have skipped it if I thought I could beat my old time. I'm also going to miss Oly class this week since it conflicts with my daughter's Brownies - boo. I might be going a full week between WODs. Well, at least I got lots of steps and flights of stairs in over the weekend. 

I busted out my old pill box since I'm taking more supplements again and am tired of fussing with all the bottles. There seems to be a lot of emphasis on ensuring you are getting enough magnesium and potassium (and sodium, but I can handle that with salt). Here's what I'm taking now:
  • Lurong Deer Antler - 1 pill 2x/day
  • Hyperbiotics PRO-15 Advanced Strength - 1 pill 1x/morning
  • Prescript-Assist Probiotic & Prebiotic - 1 pill 1x/night
  • Linum & Rhubard - 1 pill 2x/day (until it runs out)
  • Doctor's Best Magnesium Chelated - 2 pills 2x/day (400mg)
  • NOW Potassium Citrate - 2 pills 2x/day (400 mg)
  • Apex Energetics Hemevite - 1 pill 2x/week
  • Metagenics D3 - 3 drops/night (3000 IU)
  • Vitamin Shoppe B12 - 1 dropper dose/morning (1000 mcg)


My Food



Breakfast:
  • 4 slices of bacon
  • 3 eggs scrambled in bacon grease, topped with hot sauce

Lunch:
  • Steak curry with broccoli
    (just sirloin tips and broccoli sauteed in coconut oil, with some salt, pepper, blackening seasoning, full-fat coconut milk, and red curry paste stirred in)

Dinner:
Snacks:
  • 2 TB SunButtery
  • 1TB Coconut Milk









4% Net Carbs / 31% Protein / 65% Fat



No comments:

Post a Comment