Sunday, July 27, 2014

Back from vacation, and back on track (for a few days, anyway)

All right, vacation's over, time to get back on track. Even if it's only for a few days until the next trip in a few days for a family reunion weekend.

As one should on vacation, I didn't worry too much about what I was putting in my mouth for a few days. I still kept away from dairy and gluten (came close to giving in on an ice cream sundae though, but just kept reminding myself about the abdominal distress that would follow for a couple days...). And while I may have hit my calories each day (thanks to most of a bag of Fritos and some chips, and a bit (ok, a lot) of frosting that my daughter got to decorate Brian's leftover birthday cupcakes), I certainly didn't meet my protein goal each day. The place we stayed offered a continental breakfast, which doesn't do a whole lot for me, so we brought a griddle and cooked up eggs and sausage in our room. We also found a great breakfast restaurant called The Egg and I - tasty omelets, even without cheese (went there twice)! I indulged in a couple adult beverages most days. But we grilled up a healthy dinner of chicken and green beans one night, and burgers for lunch another day. So, all in all, I could have been worse. I was WAY short on water though. Just couldn't get into the habit of sipping all day while running after the kids.

Almost up there - did hold one
handstand for a couple seconds!
We were relatively active though. On Monday, we visited CrossFit MisFit in Portland - our first visiting WOD. It cost $20 apiece, but at least I got a cool tank top out of it. Everyone was very nice and welcoming, but it was a pretty fire-breather crew. The coach Amanda was VERY pregnant, and was cool with the kids playing around on the equipment, which made it a little less stressful for us. First we did some strength work of Split Jerks 4×1 80-90%; then 4×1 90%+. Then we did a metcon that I just sucked at: 5 Rounds of 40 Double Unders 10 Toes to Bar. I came in dead last and felt like a dummy, but I didn't give up (although it did cross my mind a couple times to stop at 4 rounds). I just couldn't get many good strings of DUs going, and only got 2 legit T2B (in my last round while EVERYONE was watching and cheering me on). Then we spent the rest of the day chasing the kids around Fun Town Splash Town, riding rides and sliding down slides. And for the rest of the week, we chased them around Old Orchard Beach, and then alternateds between swimming in the ocean (well, not me so much, that ocean is COLD) and the pool. I thought about taking a jog on the beach like I did last year, but decided to just enjoy a restful week - it had been a LONG time since I'd taken 4 days off in a row, and my body could probably use the break. And it did feel nice to actually not be sore anywhere for once!

A fellow mom who's also been on a journey to health posted a pic of herself wearing a bikini top for the first time ever while on vacation, proud to show off all her hard work. So, I was inspired to wear one too. I ordered this cute 2-piece, which was supposed to be high waisted (I was hoping it would go just over my belly button to hide that bit of extra skin there, but it didn't quite make it that high). I tried it on when I got it, and my daughter gave me the most wonderful compliments, saying I looked so nice - almost made me cry (coincidentally, just saw this great post about another mom's wonderful kids complimenting her). But, still, never mustered up the nerve to wear it all week. Lord knows I should have felt comfortable enough considering all the bodies I saw in bikinis at the water park and beach all week, but just too self conscious, especially around Brian's extended family. Making a promise to myself to wear it when we go to Florida in September though.

When we got back, I hit our box with a vengeance on Saturday. I did the Oly class at 8am (and got a new 2RM high hang snatch at 100#!), and then stayed for the WOD at 9am, which I don't normally do since I'm usually beat from the Oly class. But, I figured I was really well rested and had plenty of carbs in the tank, so I should go for it. It was a doozy, but I was pretty pleased with my finish time of 28:24 considering that I'd already done the Oly class. Then I ate pretty well all day...until I went on a girls' night with my sister and mother-in-law to dinner (2 drinks with a healthy Cobb Salad) and a movie (large popcorn - YUM).
  • 50 calorie row
  • 50 thrusters @ 35# - didn't I just do 150 thrusters a couple weeks ago???
  • 50 km swings w/ 53# kettlebell - first time using the 53# - that was heavy! Dropped it from overhead once, and left a nice crater in the plywood! Just had to take it 5-10 swings at a time. And was my back sore the next day!
  • 50 pull ups - I jumped from a stack of 2 45s and a 25# plate, and still could only do 5 reps at a time since I was so tired already
  • 50 thrusters @ 35# - did sets of 10, and definitely had the black stare going on while pacing between sets
  • 50 calorie row
I was pretty proud of myself on today - got another huge PR on my forward leaning rest (plank): 2:51, outlasting my other 3 co-WODers! That's 51 seconds longer than my last PR a couple weeks ago! And today, I got my eating much more on track. I switched to Jones turkey sausage instead of pork, which actually has a 2 more grams of protein, but 21 fewer grams of fat (although I just noticed that it has tapioca starch, which is on my allergen list - have to see how that affects me). Although I ended up pretty low on carbs, and therefore, calories. Oh well - had plenty over the last week, and tomorrow's a rest day, so I'll call it good. After my night time snack of Captain Crunch. :)


Breakfast:
  • 3 eggs scrambled
  • 3 turkey sausage links
  • topped with hot sauce
  • 4 oz baked sweet potato
Lunch:
  • 2 tacos with ~8oz ground beef
  • 1/2 avocado as with guac seasoning
  • Ortega salsa
Snack
  • 2oz deli chicken breast
Dinner
  • 7.5 oz chicken breast wrapped in 3 slices of bacon
  • grilled asparagus
  • marinated cucumbers
Snack 2:
  • 1 c. Captain Crunch
  • 1/2 c rice milk


Totals2,01610595185142,569
Your Daily Goal2,50021997188152,500
Remaining484114231-69
CaloriesCarbsFatProteinFiberSodium

No comments:

Post a Comment