Sunday, August 25, 2013

Day 13 of RepairVite / Whole30 / Making the Cut

I gave in today and searched for the hidden scale. I didn't have to look too hard - it was more of an attempt of "out of sight, out of mind" (which did not work). But I was rewarded for my bad compulsive behavior with a 3 pound loss since Monday! That's 2 pounds less than I've been able to reach all year, despite all  of my careful calorie tracking to meet my optimal calorie goal (according to MyFitnessPal and calculators like this one) and consistent exercise. YAY! There was obviously something wrong with my body, preventing it from working correctly!

Today was my first major challenge. I brought the kids to a birthday party. Bowls of chips. Pizza. Cake. Heaven. Now my version of hell. I came prepared with my leftover coconut chicken tenders and a bag of baby carrots, and ate them quietly while I served my kids pieces of pizza and cake. Did I mention I had to hold pizza in my hand, and not even lick off the grease it left behind?! There was fresh fruit on the snack table, so I stuck to that. And there were all kinds of goodies on the "adult snack table" too including my favorite: cheese and crackers. I had a dill pickle spear instead, which was tasty. There were also a bunch of olives, so I tried one. Still not a fan. My mother-in-law was with us, and she was a good girl too: passed on the cake, and only ate the cheese and sauce off the pizza, leaving the crust. No wheat! Woo hoo!

I came home and stained the deck for my exercise. Good times. Brian sighed at one point and said "It's kind of disheartening to do this all day, knowing there's no ice cream at the end. But maybe that's part of what's broken." True enough. My thoughts turned more to a margarita. We've definitely had a food-as-reward system for hard labor around the house. It will be interesting to see if those food reward thoughts don't even cross our minds after a couple more weeks.

We've decided that we'll try a different kind of fish each week. Today, Brian picked up some fresh haddock at the farmer's market, and sauteed it up in coconut oil. This coconut oil from Sam's definitely leaves a big coconut flavor on food, and it didn't quite work on the fish. It was kind of bland, save the coconut flavor. I only ate maybe 1/3 of mine, but I was satisfied, and didn't mind the flaky texture of the fish which I thought bothered me in the past. I'd try haddock again once I can have some hot pepper-based seasonings to spice it up a but (and saute it in EVOO, not coconut oil). And we tried lemon juice in some guac instead of lime - not a fan of that substitution either, so didn't finish my guac either. So dinner was a bit of a miss, except for the sweet potato fries - always love those!

Food: ~1000 calories (too low, and really bad ratio of macronutrients today - too many carbs and not enough fat!)
  • Breakfast: 
  • Lunch:
    • Leftover coconut chicken tenders
    • raw baby carrots
  • Dinner:
    • Pan fried haddock
    • Baked sweet potato fries
    • Guac with lemon instead of lime
  • Snacks:
    • piece of coconut chicken
    • home made beef jerky
    • strawberries

Exercise: 

  • Rest day - hip is still bugging me, or I would have gone for a run
  • 5100 steps; 10 flights

No comments:

Post a Comment