Friday, September 6, 2013

Day 24 of RepairVite / Whole30 / Making the Cut

Today was a gorgeous September day, so I tried to make the most of it outdoors and get my vitamin D. I put my son in his iBert bike seat (which he's just about outgrown, sadly) and we rode down to the local playground for a playdate with his buddies, and then we hopped back on the bake to ride over to the local duck pond. I cleaned all the old hot dog, hamburger, grinder rolls out of the fridge - we're not eating those anymore! Enjoy, ducks! Hope your bodies like gluten more than mine does!

After lunch, I put my son down for a nap, and was very tempted to join him since I slept like crap the night before. I still have nights were I wake up around 2, but I'm trying to make myself go back to sleep again instead of picking up my Kindle and web surfing until I'm sleepy again (which, sometimes, is not until 5am). So I climbed out of the bed and trimmed our hedges for a couple hours. Worked up a sweat out there!

My doc suspects I may have adrenal fatigue, and wants to see the results, and wants me to take a cortisol saliva test. However, I've been on the fence about it since it costs $120 (I need to see if this one is covered by insurance). But, after doing some research, I decided to do it. It has a bunch of rules - have to take the test 4 times throughout the day (first thing in the morning, before lunch, before dinner, and around 10pm). You have to take all samples the same day, you can't eat particular foods the day of the test (onions, garlic - things I actually eat!), and you can't eat an hour before collecting saliva into the little tubes. Well, I got the first test done (had to keep a little cotton roll under my tongue for about 20 minutes until it was saturated, and couldn't talk very well in the meantime!). I was all set to take the second test before lunch. And then I mindlessly took a bite of the apple I gave me son. Ugh. So, had to wait another hour. After an hour, I went in to check on the beef jerky that I threw in the oven before our bike ride, and found that it was overcooked - aargh! Again, without thinking, I popped a piece in my mouth to see if it was still edible. Damn it! Well, I was too hungry to wait another hour, so that was the end of the test that day. Had to rinse out the morning vial, and put it away for another try another day. Maybe this weekend. Too inconvenient to do while at work.


We didn't really plan anything for dinner, so I just took all the veggies in the fridge and freezer and threw them into a pan, and then threw in the leftover meat from the beef jerky along with some coconut aminos and garlic. Made a very tasty last minute stir fry.

Food:
  • Breakfast: 
  • Lunch:
    • I did not eat a very good lunch. Just grabbed a few very chewy, dry pieces of beef jerky.
  • Dinner:
    • steak stir fry with broccoli, green beans, sugar snap peas, onions, garlic, and carrots in coconut oil and coconut aminos
  • Snacks:
    • beef jerky
    • nectarine
    • baby carrots

Exercise: 
  • Rest day from Making the Cut
  • Bike rides with my little guys
  • Trimming hedges

No comments:

Post a Comment