Sunday, September 8, 2013

Day 27 of RepairVite / Whole30 / Making the Cut

Today was by son's 3rd birthday. When I was deciding when to start this 30-day diet, I was torn between starting before my birthday (which would deprive me of cake and a margarita on my birthday), or starting it early enough that I'd be done by my son's birthday (so that I could have some of his cake at his birthday party) which was less than a month later. I decided to start the day after my birthday, so, for the first time ever, there was no cake in the house to celebrate a birthday. This is a very strange concept to me. I REALLY like cake. REALLY.

My son wanted to go to a "ressurant" for his birthday, so we decided to venture to Red Robin since he had a free birthday meal coming to him. This was our first time at a table service restaurant since starting the program - I'd forgotten how loud they can be! I did a little checking online before going, and a few Paleo and allergen folks said that they found Red Robin to be pretty Paleo/allergen friendly. So, when we go there, I asked for an allergen menu, which showed selections people could have with common allergens (gluten, dairy, egg, nuts, maybe others?), including modifications I'd need to request. In the past, Brian and I have always shared an A-1 Peppercorn burger and been stuffed between the bun and all the fries. However, given that we weren't eating a big bun or fries, we both decided to get our own burgers today. I had to ask for no Red Robin seasoning since the dairy allergy menu instructed to do so, even though the ingredients on the seasoning bottle state that the only allergen is soy (which should have excluded it anyway, but I'm getting less strict about since my allergy test was negative for soy). So, we just added salt and pepper. All in all, it was pretty bland, as a plain hamburger wrapped in lettuce with only salt & pepper would be. Brian got guac on his since he can have nightshades - lucky guy. I had decided I would treat myself to some sweet potato fries, even though they were likely fried in an off-limits oil. However, when I told the waitress that I had gluten and dairy allergies, she said that I shouldn't get the sweet potato fries since they were fried in the same oil as other gluten/dairy containing items. So, I just got a side salad (which was basically lettuce, cukes, onion, and cabbage) and got some balsamic vinaigrette (even though it was likely made from soy-based oil and contained a little sugar). I still stole a couple of Brian's sweet potato fries before my son ate them all though. Ugh. Eating out is not as fun as it used to be. And not to get too graphic here, but Brian and I had the most foul gas that evening that we'd had all month. Sorry. Gross.

We brought the kids apple picking and got lots of apples to make applesauce - YUM! Then we took the kids for ice cream (that still hurts a little too). We invited Brian's folks over for Josh's birthday dinner, and Brian prepared tasty Paleo spaghetti (squash) and meatballs with pesto sauce for the 2 of us, and regular whole grain pasta and red sauce for everyone else. I really don't miss pasta, and spaghetti sauce is growing on me. But I would love some red sauce!

Food:

Exercise: 
  • Apple picking, chasing my son around during my daughter's first soccer game

No comments:

Post a Comment